Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

A day to honor all dads.........

I can't wait to see you Sam next weekend when we will celebrate Father's Day. There is way too much time between our visits! These toys you see in the picture are just for you from a Tupperware party I went to last week.

Unfortunately my dad will not be with us but Graham and Mike will be there to slave over and adore unconditionally. Devin is not a dad yet to a human baby but I know that he is busy being a "papa bear" to some grizzlies so I think that might count.

I will try to be nice to Graham that day as he is the father of my children and Mike will deserve my kind attention solely due to the fact that this is his first Father's Day as the father of my grandson. I may even go easy on him if we play some crib. But that will be it from me. I will simply be far too busy with Sam. Their own children can remember and honor them with breakfast in bed, tasteful gifts (ties?) and a full day of constantly reminding them that they are kings.

My dad is a king in my eyes. I love him so much and that is not just because he gave me such great hair. There are a number of reasons: some bigger, all important. One of my first memories of dad and I is a boat excursion and a storm. He is holding my hair back from my face as I upchucked into the saltchuck. There were hundreds of crib games that led me to my present championship status and the special times just the two of us shared while he built a log cabin. Dad bought me my first Levi jean jacket and it was white. I spilled ketchup on it at Uncle Keith's and dad hardly flinched. Dad is the reason I managed to pass Math 11 and I definitely have him to thank? for the genetic matter that makes me fairly obsessive complusive in my daily living. All cupboard doors need to be closed when not in use, picture frames must hang at perfect right angles to the corner of the room, magazines on the coffee table all face north and if you wish to reuse your glass before I put it in the dishwasher, then keep it glued to your hand. Dad did not teach me how to drive and this was a good thing.

But the best and most treasured memories of my dad have to be the simplest of stories. One Christmas he handmade a highchair for my doll which had arborite on the tray to match mom's counter. One of my favorite memories as a child was visiting dad's mom, Grandma Dee on Salt Spring Island in the summer. He helped me catch my first fish on the dock at Fulford Harbour. Dad always played his guitar and sang. He has a terrific voice. I picture him sitting at his workbench painstakingly tying flies under a bright light and magnifying glass. I can see him diving into the water as magnificent as Tarzan. Dad let me ride in the back of his truck once we got to Thompson Drive and he always did his best to appear nonchalant when he was checking up on me and Scott McKinley when we were suntanning at the river in the backyard. (At night.) Dad was so incredibly handsome when he walked me down the aisle. He has been a wonderful caring "Papa Gary" to my children and now, great grandfather to Sam.

Some of my closest friends have now lost their dads. No one can ever prepare for that. So Dad, I want you to know that you have been and continue to be, an amazing father. With mom, you raised me and protected me. I have always known that I could count on you. I know that I am loved by you.

And you by me.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Sam says he can't wait to get his hands on those toys!

Annie said...

It worked!!
Thank you, Leslie! Wonderful as always. Next week more from Sam then, right?? :)
Enjoy a happy Father's Day together. My dad came all the way from Germany to be with me - that's pretty special, too!

Great Grandma Lois said...

It is interesting to remember that "Grandpa Tom," Papa Gary's Dad, had passed away when Grandma Leslie was a very little girl. He had sent lovely gifts to his only Grand daughter, some of these have now been passed on to Samuel.
Maybe, one day soon at the beach, Samuel will enjoy playing with a little rowboat that Great Grandpa Cecil had made for Leslie.
I could add so many memories, but mostly think....the circle of life goes one.