Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday Sam!

August 25, 2011
Dear Sam,

Oh my gosh. You are four years old. I can hardly believe it. Where has the time gone? I can remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. I hadn't been so excited in a long, long time. You were perfect in every way. I liked the way you smelled and the way your skin felt next to mine. I LOVED taking you into a room and then shutting the door so I could be alone with you. I would have you to myself  for a good private cuddle and chitchat before your mommy or daddy would eventually find us and make me give you back. 

You have grown up to be such a sweet little boy. I love your voice. I told your mommy on the phone today that I just can't hear it enough. You are so smart. When I was your age I don't think I knew that hernia started with the letter "h" or that a volcano with a flat top was a.....oh dear, I have forgotten the answer already. I was also surprised to learn so much about bugs this summer. Thank you for teaching me. You swim like a fish. You can ride your bike and you can spell so many words I have lost count of them months ago. And I could hardly believe it last spring when I realized you were beginning to read.

I love our times together. I like taking you for walks to the park with Bob. I like it because it is just the 3 of us. You show me so many things that are fascinating - things that I would ordinarily pass by. I really liked our few days together when Mommy and Daddy went to San Francisco. We baked a cake. You taught me lots about being an American. We read 147 books. I really liked it when you asked me to lay down beside you in your bed for a few minutes before you went to sleep.

Lately I have seen you with your friends. I really like the way you behave and how you treat others around you. I especially love your manners. When you fart, you always say "excuse me" and sometimes you have reminded me to say thank you. I appreciate that so much because Grandma sometimes forgets nowadays.

You are an amazing big brother. Charlotte is one of the luckiest little baby girls born this year because she got you. You watch over her. You are already teaching her things and you tell her all the time how much you love her. I can see that she loves you too. I like the way you are so gentle and caring. She will need you many times in her life and I know you will always be there for her.





I am looking forward to this next year and all the happy times we will have together. Whether we are in Canada or in America, we will have many more good memories and I know that I will continue to love and cherish you more and more and more. For ever and ever.

Regular Grandma thinks you are the best little boy in the world.

Happy 4th Birthday, Sam!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that someday I am as good of a grandma as you are.

xo
Shelley

Sharon said...

Beautifully said Leslie. Do you think there's some way to preserve our blogs so our grandchildren can look over them when they're much older and we're long gone?

Leslie said...

Thanks Sharon and Shelley for the nice comments.

And yes, Sharon, we can save our blog as a book using programs like www.blurb.com or many other similar ones.

Jen said...

Lovely words from a lovely Grandma. He loves you so very much and is so lucky to have you in his life. xoxo

Great Grandma Lois said...

This Mom is so proud and happy that Regular Grandma is her little girl. Wonderful blog, Leslie.