Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Regular Grandma Visits the Wall Street Occupation

Photo by Barbie
I won't pretend to understand the true mandate of the hundreds of protesters who continue to camp out in Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan but I do know for sure that it was an interesting and memorable experience to chat with this gentleman and to hear his story.
He, and others are angry about corporate greed, inequality of wealth and lack of public health care provisions.
As Barbie and I arrived at the park, a young couple from who knows where with huge packs strapped onto their backs and eyes as wide as the Manhattan skyline, were walking just slightly ahead of me. I overheard their reaction when they realized they had finally reached their destination. The anticipation and excitement in their voices was tangible. It was like they were walking through the gates of Disneyland as 8 year olds. I hope they were there for the right reasons.

Barbie and I visited the Financial District last tuesday.  It was a balmy blue sky day and the sun was so hot on our backs, we felt compelled to remove our sweaters and walk in short sleeves.

Not so much now. Over 1000 trees were destroyed in Central Park on Sunday during the eastern seaboard storm and snow fell steadily on the tents in Liberty Square.  These high winds and cold temperatures would diminish my fight pretty darn quick.  Numerous generators, gas cans and battery packs were removed by city workers, claiming they did so because of the safety factor and not to make the situation less than pleasant.

Lately other factions have arrived. People with totally different mandates and issues. People wearing scarves over their faces to protect their identity. Jumping on the media bandwagon and making use of this relatively peaceful occupation for their own personal agendas.

Zuccotti Park, named after John E. Zuccotti (City Planning and Deputy Mayor at some point)  is not publicly owned space therefore does not adhere to the same rules as other parks in Manhattan. It is open 24 hours a day so the NYPD cannot ask anyone to leave.  Sanitation issues and noise from the constant drumming must be driving the locals nuts at this point. Hypothermia must be a huge concern.

But I was there and it felt like an important part of history. Peaceful protesters doing what they could to get their point across, to educate the masses and hopefully ensure change for the better.

Those people, I wish them well. The others who are making it difficult for the real issues to be heard...I hope they go home.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Leslie, hope you're enjoying your visit to NYC sounds like you're really seeing it all. I've only been to NYC once. I have to go back. That's going on my bucket list!

Great Grandma Lois said...

I'm happy you took advantage of the situation and had an opportunity to observe, learn and understand some of the protesters. It was a new experience for you in NYC. Good report.