The name of this blog is "Thoughts on Being a Grandma" and I have neglected to share these thoughts of mine in the last year or so. The feelings are as strong as ever, doubled now with the addition of dear sweet Charlotte but the simple truth is that I became rather lazy and for the most part, I have kept my "thoughts" to myself.
I never ever actually stopped to think much about being a grandma. It wasn't something I paid much attention to as I plowed through life. So when it happened almost five years ago, it took me by complete surprise. The power of love. I am still awestruck by it. When Sam came into my world it was like I was given a new lease and lesson on life, a new focus, a new reason for being. The gift of a new life. To say I fell in love would be a mild interpretation. And because of my age and life experiences, I know so well how quickly the years will pass and so, I appreciate these sweet and tender early years much more than I did with my own three children. I have hopefully developed a solid relationship with my grandson now that will take us through our lives, what is left of mine and what is to come with his big and beautiful future. Sam will be entering school this September and he is more than ready to face new challenges and independence. He is a gentle old soul, with such depth of character for someone so young. He can talk me into just about anything and this is why I have a dead crab in a zip lock bag hanging from a magnet on my fridge. He is his father's son by looks and interests, but he is the loving and caring boy because of the example both his parents have set.
Charlotte. Oh, beautiful Charlotte. The clone of my daughter, Jennifer. Eyes so blue. Cautious but curious. She takes life slower than her brother did at this age, thinking first and planning her next move carefully. So loving and dear, but with her terms clearly stated. Charlotte can be shy and is firmly attached to her mommy and daddy so the rest of us need to approach her differently than we did with her brother. I am so looking forward to this next year. Her sweet personality is blossoming and every day we get a little glimpse into the little girl she is to become. Charlotte is quite the drama queen. She loves to eat a good meal, she loves her dollies, she loves her brother! My goal this year is for her to love me too.
I feel so incredibly blessed lately. Graham and I are facing a brand new chapter in our lives together. We are selling the family home and buying another. We haven't found the right one yet but we know that we are ready for a change. I am calling it the Ten Year Plan Chapter. One more house, then perhaps the condo. We are enjoying this process, searching for just the right place and thankfully we are on the very same page.
Bob just celebrated his tenth birthday and we know that his days are numbered but for now, we are grateful for his good health as he brings so much joy to our lives. My heart goes out to a friend this week who is saying goodbye to her beloved dog as it is now time.
Mom and I recently returned from our time in Tuscany. It made me realize how fortunate I am to still have a mother in good health and spirits when others of my generation have lost theirs...I love my mom and dad so much. I have my friends who feed my soul and lift me up when I am down. My family, my beloved children, words simply can't describe what your presence in my life means to me. It is such an honor to be your mother. Sam and Charlotte, I love you and I am so very proud to be your Grandma. Dear sweet Graham, thank you. Thank you for loving me.
It seems that one heart can hold as much love as it is given.

Charlotte playing with her new birthday toys.
3 comments:
Thank you, Leslie, simply thank you.
Lovingly from your tearful and proud Mom.
That was really beautiful, Leslie.
Well said. My feelings about my grandchildren exactly. I had no idea my love for them would be so great. I definitely want to be a memorable part of their lives. And my husband of 32 years makes a wonderful poppy. I am so grateful for these wonderful precious days.
Post a Comment