Pages

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Three Times Blessed

One hour old
It's been just over a week since our family welcomed Paige Sierra Manky into the world, weighing in at 8 lbs 15 oz and 22 inches long, at 3:49 PM July 21, 2017. And what a week it's been. An emotional roller coaster with this tiny human in the front seat, taking us all on the ride of a lifetime.

I won't share the details of the birth other than Tara was simply a warrior and amazing in every way. Devin never left her side, always loving and caring.  I can share one experience from the day however, as it is mine alone. Grandparents tend to get a little punchy towards the end of a day of hard baby labour. We were four grandparents waiting anxiously together. The minutes seemed like hours. So when I nervously checked my texts from Devin who had been kind enough to keep us informed, I jumped up in the room and shouted "She's delivered!" only to realize in a nanosecond I was a total idiot. What had been "delivered" was the heart emoji I had sent earlier to Devin. Good to know that he got it.

I remember worrying 36 years ago if I could possibly love my new baby as much as my firstborn. At the split second of her birth I knew I had nothing to fear. The fierce protective love comes out of nowhere and you can't imagine life without her. The mother lion instinct kicks in and you are completely hooked. Having grandchildren is just the same. My sweet friend Debbie, is the grandma to 6 beautiful babies and she speaks of each and every one of them like they are her favourite. I get that. My Sam and Charlotte, and now my Paige, (yes, I said my...) are instrumental in my well-being. I have had many wonderful roles in my sixty + years but I like myself best when I am just Grandma.

Five days old
Tara, Devin and Paige live at the top of a mountain which requires a gondola for transportation. After many months, I eventually convinced them to agree to stay with us "in the city" for a wee bit before heading to their remote little cabin in the woods. I hoped to give Tara an opportunity to heal and gain her strength back while obviously providing me with the golden opportunity to micromanage everyone and everything. I promised I would give them total privacy. I couldn't do it. I said I wouldn't go downstairs unannounced. I tried. Some would say I lied. I was busted for listening at their bedroom window. I was merely ensuring that three people were sleeping soundly....well, and also breathing.

I know that this intimate time with this sweet little family will not go on much longer and I feel myself getting severely choked up when I think of the goodbyes. I am in love with Paige Sierra Manky. She now holds a special place in my heart that will always be reserved for just her. Thank you Tara and Devin for this beautiful addition to our family. She was so worth the wait.

One week old

4 comments:

joanc said...

Oh my dear friend, I have yet to experience this joy of grandchildren but I am so grateful to live vicariously through your words. So eloquently put I enjoy it all , thank you xo

GrammaDeb said...

Another emotional and poignant entry from one of the best Grammas I know. Paige is lucky to have you in her life. ❤️

Lydia Edwards said...

So beautifully felt and said again, Leslie. You get right to the heart of it. Lydia

Deborah Markle said...

Oh Leslie, such a profound, heartfelt and heart wrenching post. They are so lucky to have you. Grandma's are the best invention. Paige will be so spoiled as is a Grandma's prerogative.