Yesterday I swam for the first time since my surgery. I wish I could tell you in words how wonderful and powerful it felt. Wonderful because water exercise is so forgiving on your old and new joints and powerful because of the benefits of stretching and strengthening muscles that have been dormant for far too long. I have signed up for 12 sessions with a personal trainer and I know for sure that she is going to be "just what the doctor ordered." The fact that I am sharing this experience with my girlfriend Antoinette; well - it just adds a whole lot more joy. Antoinette is recovering from a major trama herself and together we have decided to re-enter the civilized world physically better than when we left it. She makes me laugh out loud and she inspires me.
I told the trainer that I was sad and mad because I felt trapped in an old ladies' body. Betrayed by it and if I am honest, envious of my peers and their active lifestyles today. Ironically, as soon as I said the words, I felt much better. By the time I finished my first aquacise session I hoped I was on the right path. Not the Baden Powell Trail or Quarry Rock hike yet, but nevertheless, a good step in the right direction for the both of us. No longer sad and mad, but glad.
It was one of those "good to be alive" days.

Here we are in our swimsuits, preparing for our workout.
2 comments:
You go girl!! Pretty soon you'll be back to feeling so much stronger!! I'm so proud of you!
Hi there!
Happy Valentine's Day!
I'm thinking that after a few more sessions in the pool .... you and I should chat with your Birch Bay neighbour and find out where she shops for swimsuits!!!!
Love getting better with you!
Post a Comment