Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

MY MONEY REMAINS ON THE 24TH...

When will this baby decide to come into our world? Jordan and Kristi say the 21st (my birthday) and Gramma Deb has dibs on the 17th (which happens to be her birthday) but I think I'll stick with my gut feeling of Friday, August 24th. Jennifer was born on a Friday and I think Mike was born on a Tuesday and if you remember that old nursery rhyme "Monday's Child"...you will know that Jennifer is "loving and giving." Mike is certainly "full of grace" and maybe now would be a great time for me to say that more than a few of my girlfriends are totally smitten with the father-to-be. They find Mike to be sensitive, warm and kind. Women love those qualities in a man. Personally, I think Jennifer has simply chosen a man who is just like her father.

Today I need to get my driver's license renewed. Of course this means a new picture taken...one that will follow me for the next five years. It always amazes me how much I can look like a convicted felon in my passport and driver's license photos, yet look so darn good in person. There must be some unwritten rule or a conspiracy against all women over a certain age that makes sure that we look more and more like our mothers as we get older. If this was true for me, I wouldn't be complaining because my mom is beautiful. My problem is that I look more and more like my father and you may remember that he is my parent with the full beard. No further explanation needed but thankfully I've heard through the grapevine that grandchildren have adoring and unconditional love for their grandparents. Billy Joel must have been thinking about his grandmother when he wrote " I love you just the way you are."

Last week my mom was telling me that holding my new grandson will be a totally new sensation for me. She recalls the day she met Jennifer as a newborn baby and can remember so well what it felt like to hold her in her arms for the very first time. The feel of her silky skin, the delicious smell of her, the warmth radiating from her tiny body. I think it must be a rite of passage, one of life's events that truly are not understood until they are experienced firsthand and in truth, I must admit that I am getting somewhat impatient waiting.

So, in regards to my driver's license photo...who cares? And despite the fact that I was asked at a sales counter last week if I qualified for the seniors discount, ($*%#!!!) I will continue to work hard at accepting the passing of time because if life stood still, well...I might look like 25 always, but I would never have the opportunity to grow old and be loved by this new generation soon to arrive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Auntie Leslie,
I love reading your blog and getting all the updates as well as learning more about my family. I'm sure my mom can totally relate to how nice it is to see her two daughters getting along so well. Chase is a precious gift to our family who lights up our days continuously and I know you will find that with your new grandson. You are already a wonderful Grandma and he isn't even born yet....but that is no surprise given the great example set by Grandma Gill.

Shelley Hrdlitschka said...

Grandma Leslie, a lovely entry! I laughed and cried. You write from the heart, beautifully, with that lovely twist of humour.
Such a luckly grandson.
In awe,
Shelley

Sharon Brain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon Brain said...

What I said and then removed because there was a spelling mistake and I have my standards to uphold was "Better a live felon than a dead beauty queen."
Hugs,
Sharon

Leslie said...

Beautifully said, Sharon! My sentiments exactly.