Today is my 47th birthday. Shut up already.
This morning I woke up at 6:59 am to my cell phone beeping. My darling Jordan had sent me a musical text message complete with birthday cake picture and all. Who cares that it was so early in the morning. My son remembered me. I love you too Jordan.
Next on the agenda was Bob. Bob sleeps with me in Seattle and I must tell you that we are very compatible bed partners. He rarely moves an inch, does not snore and he never crowds me off the bed. Although he did not have a gift for me, he let me know how much he adores me by accompanying me to the bathroom as he does every morning and sits patiently next to my feet, waiting for his turn. My bladder is much older than his.
8 a.m arrives and down the stairs comes my son-in-law. Mike remembers it is my birthday and last night he presented me with a beautiful surprise bouquet of roses for my bedroom (I like to call it the Oprah #2). They are lovely. Frodo the cat can smell their fragrance through the door and waits for the opportunity to dash inside when no one is looking. There's something about roses that cats really like - it's just unfortunate that he can't just smell them without tipping over the glass vase and then tearing the heads off the stems....Back to Mike. He sits and waits with me for the pregnant woman we both love to make her appearance. Soon enough we are enjoying our first coffee. They make fun of me and pretend to be angry that I am getting so many birthday phone calls that interrupt our time together. I would like to mention Tara's call because I am so very proud of her and her accomplishments this past weekend. She participated in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk in Vancouver and was able to raise over $2300.00 towards cancer research. Her feet are blistered and she walked for the last 18 hours with a very severe knot in her foot, always smiling. Well done, Tara!
Mike and Jen gave me a small box. Yes, girlfriends, the velvet kind of small box. Inside I found a gorgeous "Grandma" ring. Thank you for this very special ring. I will treasure it and you forever.
My man is giving me a fantastic birthday gift that makes me feel like someone on the "While You Were Out" TV program. He has hired a past student of Seycove - Aleem Kassam who is doing an extreme makeover of our family room. As a well known control freak, I am surprising myself that I have complete faith in Aleem's ability to spend Graham's money as well as I can. Thank you dear G, for this great present! (Have you watered the hanging baskets yet?)
This brings us up to noon on the birthday. I crave Thai for lunch and want to cook a sockeye for dinner. Oh yeah, just one more thing.
Mike gave Bob a huge piece of bagel and cream cheese earlier on today. I remarked on his generosity and kept my fears inside, being the very good houseguest that I am. Of course, not only did he later upchuck it on the new leather furniture, but Jen's horrified screaming led him to then run through it, splashing it on the glass coffee table, the Swedish Hospital Procedure Manual and some exquisite jewelry pieces Mike has recently sold - reaching a radius of approximately six feet. This was only to be followed by the realization (when he scooted across my bedspread in the Oprah #2) that something large, hard and brown was stuck on Bob's private bottom area. Surgical removal quickly followed, again with the chorus of Jen's screaming and the indignation of their perfect pets, Harry and Stella.
Happy Birthday to me. Let's have a baby today.
8 comments:
Happy Birthday Mom! I am glad I get to spend this special day with you!
How could I forget???
(and thanks for reminding me!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Leslie!!!!
Love, Shelley
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry for laughing but I can just imagine all the hooplah going on down there! I hope you had a really great birthday mom. The sleepover at Grouse went really well last night. We woke up this morning to a beautiful sunrise and tweeting birds outside our window. Very nice! No more news about Dev's job.
Jen, how's Sam? Elbowing his way out yet? I know I say this in every message but I AM SO EXCITED. I will be coming down with dad and JT this weekend. Hope Sam is there to join us or I will need to spend another few days talking to your belly. LOL.
Glad to hear all is more or less well down in Seattle. I am thinking of you all tons - more and more each day.
I hope mom is right about Sam coming this Friday...I am looking forward to meeting the new little man in my life.
Tee hee!
Well, time to get back to work!
Love ya!
T
p.s. Mom, where is the pic of the grandma ring you promised to post?
Hey Gramma Leslie -
Back from Keats and the only thing missing was you. But I know how special this time is for you with Jen and Mike. I was hoping that Sam was going to be your birthday gift, but he'll be a gift no matter when he arrives. My thoughts are with you as you make this journey with Jen.
Jen - Hang in there sweetie and savour these last few hours with that little life inside of you. There's no better feeling in the world. We are all thinking of you and we wish you lots of strength as you bring this new litle person into the world. Take care.
Love Gramma Deb
Hi Jen,
We haven't met, but I feel I already know you!
Like all the rest of your mom's friends I'm waiting anxiously to hear about the baby's arrival.
Funny, reading one of the comments on this blog, I remember how anxious I was to have each of my babies, but when they actually came, I actually felt lonely for a few days afterwards. Being 'two' people for awhile is such an experience, but once the baby is born, you become 'one' again.
I'm sure this sounds weird, but it's just something I remember. And of course, being able to hold the baby in your arms, smell it, hug it, is so much better than just being able to stroke it through your belly.
All the best!
Shelley
Good morning everyone: It is August 23rd as I write this. I have just returned from my tour to The Yukon and Alaska and this is my first opportunity to comment for awhile.
I am so excited that today may be the day! I am just waiting until the hour is more suitable to telephone AGAIN for a report.
Your blog is so wonderful, Leslie. I will sit here and pray that little Samuel is coming into the world with ease, knowing so many people are anxious to meet him and surround him with love.
So much love goes to Jennifer, Mike, Grandma Leslie and Grandpa Graham.
Love coming straight back at you, Great Grandma Lois!
Post a Comment