Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Another lesson for the Grandma...

Here we are home again in the northern reaches of the snowy tundra we fondly call Canuckville. The Seattle Thanksgiving weekend was no disappointment. The dinner was delicious, the family felt like my favorite burgandy blanket wrapped protectively around me: they each surrounded me with a warm sense of security and I didn't want to budge from beneath it ever.

Today I found a package on our doorstep. It was addressed to Graham and I. Inside was a card and a letter congratulating us on becoming first-time Grandparents. There was a lovely pale blue sleeper for Sam and a special gift, just for me. It was a small delicate china box with the name "Grandma" on the lid. The minute I saw it I knew that this would be the best place for me to keep my new ring. Then by reading the letter, I understood that this is just what the friend had hoped I would do.

My friend Annie has not been my friend for long. If I remember correctly, I have met her in person only on three occasions. The first time was a brief meeting at Granville Island when we were introduced, the second time was when we met in San Francisco for a day I will never forget and then in my home when she came to stay with her parents who were visiting from Europe.

Despite our brief friendship I have learned that Annie is a friend I hope to have forever. Since our relationship began, she has not missed a special occasion in my life without acknowledging it. My 50th birthday, our 30th wedding anniversary, my first grandchild. Annie has been a faithful blog addict as well to the point of dragging her beloved partner to the computer every time I post a new picture. (and so she should, damn it!!!)

But of course, more than the gifts is the understanding that Annie is a friend, albeit a new one, who I can count on and who hopefully knows that our friendship is a mutual admiration society. I am thankful for her.

As a grandma, it is a comforting feeling to know that many people in this world, some of whom perhaps have not even met my family, are surrounding this precious little baby with so much generosity, kindness and love. It feels so respectful towards Graham and I. It feels like you understand the importance we place on each other. Thank you Annie and Brook.


Life is truly great, Sam. Friends really help to make it that way.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Leslie! – Now I am close to tears.
You dedicated a whole post just to my little present? Wow!
I was really touched by all your kind words. I feel like I am taking away the spotlight from Sam – kind of embarrassing. But what am I thinking – who could ever take the spotlight away from little Sam? No one – EVER!
We might have not been friends for long, but we sure will be for the rest of our lives. You have touched my heart in so many ways – just like your dear mom.
Thanks you so much!
Love,
Annie
~and Brook says ‘Hello’, too!

P.S. I was a little disappointed, that snail-mail took so long. I was so hoping that my little package arrived before Thanksgiving. Too bad!

Brook said...

Annie has never needed to drag me to her computer to see the new blog entries and photos. It's a joy to see such love and sense of family being shared (not to mention the wonderful pictures of Sam -- I especially enjoy that expression he has when he crinkles up his forehead).

For me, one of the best things about Annie has been how she has "introduced" me to so many special people, even those far away that I haven't even met in person. Maybe I'll be fortunate to do that one of these days.

Thank-you, Leslie, for your blog about your beautiful family.